Tasker, an application for Android, performs Tasks based on Contexts like application, time, date, location, event, gesture, in user-defined Profiles, or in clickable or timer home screen widgets. It extends your control of your Android device and it’s capabilities, without the need for ‘root’ or a special home screen.
How can the Tasker app be useful to you in sorting out your tasks?
1. Passcode-lock sensitive applications for child safety
2. Change phone settings by:
application: long screen timeout in a book reader
3. Text-to-speech; read out loud: incoming SMS/ phone number, WiFi/Bluetooth status, when it’s time for an appointment, when the battery is low etc etc (Android OS 1.6+ only)
4. Launch a music application when your music SD card is inserted, otherwise a file browser
5. Turn the phone upside down to return to the home screen, tilt 90 degrees to the left and back to toggle speakerphone during a call
6. Create a Home widget to:
7. Remap camera etc buttons to other applications, or show a menu of applications and/or actions
8. Decrypt/encrypt and/or zip/unzip application data on the fly when an application is launched/exits
9. Pause music playback while in a particular application, restart on exit
10. Track your phone location via SMS in case of theft
11. Extend the use of the media button on your headset: take a picture from a distance or go to the previous media track with a long press
12. Setup a birthday SMS to be sent months before it happens so you don’t forget
13. Make automatic recordings of what you say during phone calls to SD card
14. During the night, turn on airplane mode to conserve battery/reduce radiation, but turn it off every 15 minutes to check for SMS/voicemail.
15. Setup a vacation SMS message, with different messages for different callers